26 Apr 2021
In light of the on-going COVID-19 pandemic, World IP Day 2021 is being promoted as a virtual campaign.
- SMEs are the backbone of the global economy. They account for around 90 percent of all businesses worldwide and are essential contributors to job creation and economic development.
- When economic recovery from the fallout of COVID-19 is a priority, World IP Day 2021 shines a light on how SMEs can use their IP assets to build stronger, more competitive, and resilient businesses and create jobs.
- IP is a powerful tool for SMEs in all parts of the world to create economic value and advance their business goals.
- With IP rights, an idea can be turned into a business opportunity that generates value, creates employment, and enriches the market offering consumers a broader choice of new and better products and services.
- With IP, businesses create value and can do better, communities can thrive, and national economies can prosper.
- This year’s World IP Day campaign maps key IP-related issues that come into play when taking ideas to the market. We explore the practical IP issues and challenges that will arise on that journey and how to manage them. We take a closer look at identifying, protecting, and leveraging IP assets for business growth, the business opportunities that can flow from IP licensing, and the range of options available to finance innovation.
- World IP Day 2021 also highlights the central role that WIPO and national and regional IP offices worldwide play in creating a favorable landscape for SMEs to drive innovation and creativity, power economic recovery, and create employment.