Please mention that you found this IP professional through the FICPI website.
Mr. Charles Berman
44 Market Street
New South Wales
P.O. Box A851
Tel: +61-2-8231 1000
Fax: +61-2-8231 1099
A patent attorney who brings a business mind to the process of taking a concept through the process to achieve its creator’s commercial objectives.
With a career spanning more than 30 years, currently as a Partner of FB Rice, Australia, my experience provides me with the skills to work across a diverse range of technology fields with particular emphasis on mining and oil and gas technologies, packaging, mechanical and electro-mechanical devices, printers, medical devices and e-commerce. What makes this work so personally satisfying is to be in at the birth of a concept and to gain a deep understanding of its business context to assist clients to achieve the most commercially beneficial outcomes.
Initially in South Africa and now in Australia, my work includes drafting and prosecution of patents and design applications on behalf of local and foreign clients and pre-grant opposition proceedings before the Australian Patent Office. I also represent clients before the New Zealand Patent Office.
FICPI Australia - Council member
Member of AIPLA & AIPLA’s IP Practice in the Far East Committee.
Member of LES International.
Effective management of complex, multi-jurisdictional patent portfolios to achieve commercially solid outcomes. Significant experience in the filing and prosecution of US applications including interviewing US patent examiners, preparing appeal briefs and related matters to overturn refusals to grant patents in the US. High success rate in obtaining patent protection in other jurisdictions.
Recent media coverage:
- Australian law publication article commented on my experience in advising US clients and for work for start-up medical manufacturers.
- “Innovation Patents and their importance as a business tool” - published in Mining & Technology Australia 2013, Issue 6.
- Recently interviewed for an industry Q&A for Austmine regarding protection of IP in the mining field.
- B.Sc Electrical Engineering (Wits University, South Africa)
- B.Proc (UNISA, South Africa)
- Registered Australian and New Zealand patent attorney.
Country of practiceAustralia
Country/Region of membershipAustralia